Post

Internet Explorer 8 and the iertutil.dll processor loop

So I was banging my head on a client’s machine the other day with a unique error.  IE8 was in a processor loop with iertutil.dll , which I observed using Process Monitor.  I tried the normal repairs of addons being disabled, reinstall IE8, Flash, Java, etc.  Finally, I found what the problem was.  See, the issue only occurred on a page or two and not most pages, that should have been a clue.  The user accidentally turned on “Compatibility Mode” for finance.yahoo.com and whatever code Yahoo through at it through Compatibility Mode caused the loop, just disable it and save yourself the 1hr plus I put into it 🙂